Effective academic advising is an essential component of student success. Academic advisors provide holistic support for students at The University of Texas at Austin from orientation through graduation and beyond.
Texas Advising Excellence promotes student success by advocating for the academic advising community, providing outlets for sharing knowledge and information through cross-campus collaboration and communication. Texas Advising Excellence supports the advising community by researching and sharing advising best practices, coordinating campus-wide advising resources, exploring innovative tools to support advising, gathering data to support advising needs, identifying challenges and pathways to success for academic advisors, and elevating the advising profession on campus. Texas Advising Excellence also is a conduit for advisors to elevate issues and needs in order to best support students.
Hosted by Texas Advising Excellence, Advising Forums are a place to provide critical updates and information to advisors. These forums also allow a space for advisors and other student support professionals to provide feedback and questions that can be escalated to university leadership. Currently, these hourlong forums are held over Zoom every other week. If you have a specific question or topic that you would like to see addressed at a forum, please email email@example.com.
Advising During COVID-19
Advisors are frontline staff supporting students through their academic journey. The following are meant to provide guidance for advisors as they support students during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Protect Texas Together: The university’s official resource for campus updates related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Fall 2020 Student COVID-19 FAQs: A searchable database of frequently asked questions related to the impact of COVID-19 on remote learning, tuition, financial aid, and much more.
Many advisors are navigating a virtual work environment and juggling the stressors of this new work/life balance. Below are some available resources to help advisors practice self-care while navigating this new normal.
- Guide to Day-to-Day Living Under COVID-19
- Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19
- Video Counseling Through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Work Healthy from Home
NACADA/NASPA COVID-19 Resources
- Campus Map of Student Resources
- Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC)
CMHC is providing counseling and psychiatric services via telehealth.
- Office of the Dean of Students
- Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)
- Supporting Students in Online Classes
- Texas Global
- University Housing and Dining
- UT Outpost
The UT Outpost food pantry provides food assistance to currently enrolled students living within in the City of Austin. For additional food assistance, please visit the Central Texas Food Bank and Feeding America.
- Advising in Times of Disruption
A resource created by multiple universities through the National Academic Counselors Association (NACADA).
- Microsoft Bookings
- Microsoft Teams
Watch: Using Microsoft Teams for Advising Appointments, presented by NACADA
- Security Guidance for Working Remotely
- Using Your UT Phone Number While Working Remotely
To enable remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic, Information Technology Services (ITS) is providing the Bria Enterprise softphone client, enabling use of your UT phone number on compatible smartphones, desktop/laptop computers, and tablets.
Creating Inclusive Spaces
Created by the Faculty Innovation Center, these resources can help advisors be mindful of students’ intersecting identities, foster a sense of belonging, and cultivate an environment of empathy and care for students.
- Inclusive Teaching & Learning Network (Map)
- Pronoun Use
- Self-Paced Inclusive Teaching and Learning Canvas Course
Undergraduate Academic Advising Offices
- Cockrell School of Engineering
- College of Education
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Natural Sciences
- College of Pharmacy
- Jackson School of Geosciences
- McCombs School of Business
- Moody College of Communication
- School of Architecture
- School of Nursing
- School of Undergraduate Studies
- Steve Hicks School of Social Work
Celebrating Excellence in Advising
Academic advisors at The University of Texas at Austin have a long history of winning local and national academic advising awards.
2021 Texas Excellence James W. Vick Advising Award Winners