There is no application required to be selected for the Presidential Scholars award. Our Presidential Scholars are selected based on the following criteria:
- A student who is a Texas resident who graduated from a Texas high school.
- A student who is accepted to The University of Texas at Austin as a freshman for their outstanding high academic achievements.
- A student who demonstrates high financial need based on the financial information provided on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
To support their studies at UT Austin, all Presidential Scholars receive up to $5,000 annually or up to $20,000 over the course of their undergraduate career, up to four years or eight long semesters.
Presidential Scholars must meet the following requirements in order to remain award eligible:
- Be enrolled at UT full time (12 or more hours each long semester)
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Complete a total of 30 credit hours by the end of your first year, 60 by the end of your second year, and 90 by the end of your third year (includes transfer credit and credit by exam recorded on your UT transcript)
- Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year before the priority deadline